- Veronica Roth interviewed Amy Lukavics about Stephen King, writing violent scenes, and reading with the lights on.
- Leigh Bardugo talks about how rules make magic more magical, how to power through a crappy rough draft, and more!
- Clearing the path for trans stories in middle grade fiction.
- The Fug Girls, aka Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan, talk about researching royals for THE ROYAL WE, and how reality TV prepared them for fiction.
- Check out these 10 great literary TED talks!
THE WEEK IN READING
- Did you see the cover for Stephanie Kuehn's new book, THE SMALLER EVIL? It is incredible!
- What your favorite YA book says about you.
THE WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Pub(lishing) Crawl has part one in its series: Working with libraries: A guide for authors!
THE WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- The hilarious comedian Kate Spencer talks about how long-form improv has influenced her writing, and how Twitter has bolstered her commitment to feminism.
- You should go to book events, because rock stars might conduct impromptu weddings there! (I was at this! It was amazing!)
- "Children don't ruin women's careers -- husbands do." Oh boy.
- "What disturbs Levine most is that the teenagers she sees no longer rebel. They have no sense of agency." Why are so many teenagers in Palo Alto killing themselves?
- "The land of selfies, where people who fall outside the narrow aesthetic guidelines set by the fashion industry can nonetheless dominate the medium, is terrifying to those who want to set consumer agendas. But that’s why you have to keep going: take your selfies, watch it all burn." A very well-written and thoughtful 10,000-word piece on Selfies.
- Suzanne Collins wrote a letter to all The Hunger Games fans, as the final movie debuts this week. (I already saw it!)
THE WEEK IN THE RANDOM
- They're cleaning Seattle's famous gum wall and I am NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.
- Also in 1998 my bedroom was covered in Leonardo DiCaprio posters and I wrote about how that bedroom inspired me when I was decorating my own place this summer. (Young Leo, forever in our hearts)