THE BIG NEWS THIS WEEK
- Our girl Steph has a new two-book deal with Dutton. Congrats, Steph!
THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- Author Jenny Martin provides some really great advice for strugging writers (aka all of us, at one time or another!)
-George R. R. Martin adorably does not understand the concept of spoilers. Come on, George!
THIS WEEK IN READING
- So there's this app called Clean Reader, and it's the most ridiculous thing ever. You don't have to look far to find backlash against it, but here's a post from Lilith Saintcrow and another from Chuck Wendig about it.
- Deadline posted a ridiculous article about whether an increased diversity in TV casting is 'too much of a good thing', and people were - rightfully - furious about it. Shonda Rhimes' tweet on the article was succinct and perfect.
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- This blog post thoroughly and neutrally summarizes the Andrew Smith situation that's had the YA community abuzz for the past couple weeks.
- Stacked has had a series of incredibly rad guest posts this week in a series called 'About The Girls'.
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- Sarah linked this on last week's FTF, but I'm leaving it on this week's because it's worth seeing again: #ToTheGirls is a campaign that will be held April 14, 2015. From organizer, YA author Courtney Summers: "On April 14th, 2015, take the opportunity to tell the girls you know—and the ones you don’t—that they are seen, heard and loved. Share advice. Be encouraging. Tell us about or thank the girls in your life who have made a difference in yours. Use the hashtag #ToTheGirls along with your personal message of support and encouragement across your social media platforms (Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram etc)."
- New ad campaigns are using thought-provoking images to make a point about gender equality.
- As a woman who is super into video games, I've been keeping tabs on "GamerGate". Here's an article from Salon on new ways that bitter trolls are attempting to shut down diversity: targeting new comics.
- A great article on the importance of female action figures. Because being super cool warriors is not just for boys!
- I am not particularly emotionally invested in this situation myself, but people seem to be upset about Zayn leaving One Direction.
- But in better news, the season five Game of Thrones live premiere occurred this week and people who got to go seemed to like it. (The rest of us can watch it April 12th. SO EXCITED!)
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
- This Voldemort 'Uptown Funk' remix was all over the internet this week. Enjoy!