THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- What's it like to write television scripts and fiction? Find out in this interview with the lovely and talented Kara Taylor.
- Writer's Digest collects 62 of their top writing articles from the past year.
- Epic Reads authors share their resolutions for the coming year.
- Erin Bowman reflects on the lessons she learned from her debut year, while Jessica Spotswood speaks frankly about learning to manage expectations.
- How do your sleep habits compare to those of the greats?
- "[T]wo weeks ago, after struggling with it basically since I’d started way back in January, I put my book aside." Sarah Dessen on abandoning projects and listening to your gut.
- People love to complain about YA tropes, "[b]ut what I’m actually hearing is, enough teenagers," says Shannon Hale.
THIS WEEK IN READING
- Which is better, book or movie? This infographic settles the debate, while another at Feministing proves that movies with strong female roles make more money.
- Melissa Marr addresses tough questions about rape and recovery in her book Ink Exchange.
- Kelly Jensen and Liz Burns kicked off the new year with YA predictions for 2014.
- Need a new challenge? Ann Morgan read one book from every country in the world (via Housing Works).
- Mallory Ortberg is very excited about the possibility of Dumbledore being a time-traveling Ron. (Comments = also gold. "Also Neville Longbottom is the true Heir of Slytherin (he's pureblood, and WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL HAS A LONG BOTTOM: SNAKES. Boom).")
- Diversity in YA is rebooting their static website to make it easier to access their archives.
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Kate DiCamillo will be the next Ambassador of Young People’s Literature.
- An employee of a small publishing company is sure a writer can get picked up by a better press and asks an ethicist -- where should his/her loyalties lie? (via Sarah Weinman)
- Agents Sarah LaPolla and Natalie Lakosil rounded up their years in queries.
- Holly Root dishes on agenting, her wish list, and her best advice for writers.
- Which publishers are the best at social media? Blogads ranks them with stats.
- Writer Elizabeth Jane Howard, author of the Cazalet Chronicles and former wife of Kingley Amis, has died at the age of 90.
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- Chris Kluwe opens up about losing his job in the NFL, likely for defending gay rights.
- Hundreds of students stage a protest as their gay vice principal is forced to resign.
- BuzzFeed has a tear-jerking collection of pictures from Utah's first day of marriage equality.
- Teenage alcohol and tobacco use is at a historic low, according to a recent survey by the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
- Sir Patrick Stewart demonstrates how to moo in a British accent.
- Tolkien super fan Stephen Colbert has a cameo in The Desolation of Smaug.