|pictured: me transformed because of procrastination.|
But fear not! I have some solutions that are guaranteed to work at least some of the time!
- Pen and Paper: This is actually both my first and last go to method. Because I am a writer cliches in all the ways it counts, I carry a moleskine and pen around with me and when I'm having trouble actually typing I bullet point the scene. Zero pressure, you can always through it out, and at the end you have a blow by blow of dialogue or action or something. The something is important! It is a step in the right direction.
- Full Screen: I personally love Scrivener's full screen since you can customize the background and why should you not want to write with spaceships in your background? But almost every writing tool has a fullscreen function and you'd be surprised how useful visually blocking out temptation can be.
- Write or Die: If you are more concerned with quantity than quality (which is a totally fair thing to be concerned with!) and you work well under pressure, Write or Die is your friend. Either write to your goal in the hour or lose all your words forever!
- OmmmmWriter: I have yet to try this because I enjoy Scrivener far too much but I have heard nothing but good things! It basically traps you in a virtual room where you must write and nothing else.
- Self Control: If you know anything about me you know that Self Control is basically the only way I get any writing done ever. You put in your weaknesses (tumblr, twitter, stumblupon)(do people still use stumblupon?) and set a timer. You can shut the program down, restart your computer, use a proxy: nothing works. You must write or die of boredom.