THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- Libba Bray writes an incredibly insightful blog post (as usual) on writing despair.
- Judy Blume participated in an "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit, and of course had lots of wonderful things to say. And speaking of Judy, mark your calendars so you can celebrate "Blumesday" in the future.
- Authors react to an article suggesting that motherhood can be a threat to creativity.
- Many people seem to be under the misguided impression that women's magazines can't do serious journalism.
- Stacked discusses recent books written by duos.
THIS WEEK IN READING
- Fairytales for the modern woman.
- Despite what Accelerated Reader has to say, you probably don't have to worry about your kids' reading.
- Our own Steph Kuehn wrote a great guest post on Stacked about reading YA.
- Looking for some queer YA lit? Here's a list.
- Another of those articles about boys and reading; some of the comments are great (others are not.)
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Agent Jenny Bent discusses what to do if you need to fire your agent.
- This article, about whether YA is "too sexy" has some great responses in the comments.
- Lee & Low books questions why the number of multicultural books hasn't increased in eighteen years, with an accompanying infographic.
- Author Kate Elliot tweets about SFF and civility.
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
(I'm sorry, this section is kind of depressing this week but I tried to at least bookend it with nice things!)
- Good news for bloggers: Digg Reader will be released next week.
- There is a petition to get kickstarter to pull this horrifying proposed book of "dating advice".
- Women are sadly lacking a presence in movie theaters, according to this article.
- In honor of Father's Day last weekend, Mental Floss shares some horrible advice from fathers of yore.
- There is some controversy over Johnny Depp and his alleged Native American heritage.
- College campuses face scrutiny over antiquated responses to sexual assaults.
- In more encouraging news, comedian Patton Oswalt changes his mind about the recent rape-joke debate.
- A shocking article about what happened when a teenage girl started a feminist society at her school.
- Vice Magazine featured a tasteless fashion spread of famous female writers committing suicide; they have since taken it down, but an NPR article discusses why we shouldn't just let things like this go.
- An interesting article about why the half-life of a pin on Pinterest is much, much longer than a Facebook status or a tweet.
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- Adventures in YA & Children's Publishing is doing a giveaway to celebrate one million visitors. YA Highway is grateful to be featured with one of the prizes!
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
- FeministTaylorSwift appeared on twitter, and it's pretty awesome.
- Apparently there is a such thing as creative dog grooming competitions and I must say, I am impressed.
- And last but not least, enjoy this video of Ryan Seacrest reading part of New Moon...as Bella (and with great enthusiasm!)