(hello everyone! this is kirsten hubbard, filling in for the ferociously fabulous kate hart.)
THE BIG NEWS THIS WEEK
- Yup. It totally happened. New Adult is now an official category on Publishers Marketplace. (Also, Wikipedia.) Shelf Awareness asks: What exactly is New Adult?
THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- Walking's some of my favorite writing inspiration. Here are eight writers and the walks that inspired them (illustrated!)
- Author Laurel Garver shares some ways to inject poetry techniques into your prose.
- Over at Writer Unboxed, agent thoughts on what NOT to do when beginning your novel, such as “Characters that are moving around doing little things, but essentially nothing. Washing dishes & thinking, staring out the window & thinking, tying shoes, thinking.” (Dan Lazar, Writers House)
THIS WEEK IN READING
- Fling a penny in a fountain for E. L. Konigsburg, author of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, who passed away last Friday. That book made a huge impact on me as a kid, and many of you too, I'm sure.
- Teen book covers, then & now.
- Via io9, Strange Horizons figures out why you've never heard of most female SF authors: because though they're published in approximately equal numbers to men, hardly anybody's reviewing them.
- Related: why some books are reviewed a ton and others, not at all. Also sort of related: this Totally Hip Video Book Review of women's fiction.
- A West Virginia politician proposes a bill to require science fiction in schools
- Reliance Entertainment is developing Kristin Cashore's fantastic Graceling Trilogy.
- LOOK LOOK LOOK: Entertainment Weekly shares a very first glimpse of the Divergent film! Also, an aerial pic of an outdoor set.
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Author Helaine Becker blogs about "why information should not -- cannot -- be free".
- "Hi, Author. I love you. I love your books. That's all you need. Don't go to Goodreads. Nothing good can come of it. Daily reminders of why this is so."
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- The Writer's Voice is a fun multi-blog, multi-agent contest based on NBC's The Voice.
- Adventures in YA & Children's Publishing has announced their May Pitch+250 Contest.
- Win copies of Shrouded Secrets and The Shadow Harvest by Joel McGrath
- Can you whittle your WIP into a three-sentence pitch? Enter the Three-Two-One Pitch Contest!
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- Write K. T. Crowley is organizing an auction with proceeds going to the Boston First Responders Fund. She's seeking donations of ARCs, swag, books, critiques, and more.
- Also! An auction for West, Texas relief.
- What I found in my 5-year-old daughter's diary. As Sarah Enni put it, "ethically questionable but made me tear up."
- A photographer brings to life the action-packed dreams of a boy afflicted muscular dystrophy. Via Katie Alender.
- Gross! I'll buy my own drinks, thank you very much.
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
|cat in shark costume chases baby duck on roomba|
- A six-year-old shares his existential despair.
- Hee hee! (We're ten.)
- Boardwalk Empire's Michael Shannon gives a dramatic reading of that batshit Delta Gamma sorority letter.
- Photographs of vacuum-wrapped Tokyo couples. I hope they love each other a lot.
- Man talks to turkeys. Turkeys talk back.
- UAE men deported from Saudi festival for being too handsome.
- I swear the day before this went viral I was explaining to my friends that at age 29, I feel I've sorta outgrown the stage where I'd truly enjoy Coachella. THIS IS WHY.