THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- The Kenyon Review has a fascinating look at the life of a Sweet Valley High ghostwriter.
- Malinda Lo offers advice on curating your online author presence.
- 2014 debuts: The Class of 2k14 is now open!
- You want to be a full-time writer, but you're not sure how to start? Head over to KidLit Network for their new series, and if you're in the Boston area, check out PLL's free "So You Want to Be a YA Writer?" cocktail party!
- Think your drafts are bad? These are worse. And by worse I mean "best."
THIS WEEK IN READING
- Epic Reads has the coolest book features -- I love this week's "Flower Arrangements That Look Like YA Covers."
- Open Education Database lists ten things that happen to our brains when we read.
- YA Confidential hosted a great roundtable discussion based on our own Kristin Otts's post about teens and sexuality.
- Finalists have been announced for the LA Times Book Prize!
- Voting for your favorite teen book series is open at Teen.com, and Paper Lantern Lit is hosting YA Swoom Madness!
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Lots of flailing this week about author schemes to buy their way onto the NYT Bestseller list.
- What was publishing like before email and the internet? PW interviews industry veterans about publishing "back in the day."
- If you're looking for a career in publishing, look no further: Jo Volpe has the second installment of her "How to Become an Agent" posts, and Elizabeth Briggs shares tips on finding an internship.
- What happens when your publisher doesn't love you anymore? Midlist author Mary Doria Russell shares the experience of getting dropped after six years with Random House.
- Your hashtag isn't really trending. Sarah Nicolas at YAtopia clears up that and other subtle Twitter confusions.
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
(trigger warnings for links dealing with rape)
- Rolling Stone readers pick the top ten best soundtrack songs.
- I say this every time Google Glass comes up, but: READ FEED. (via Cleolinda Jones)
- A California sophomore plays detective and finds a thieving teacher..
- Miss Julie talks about the ways librarians can combat misogyny. (via Kelly Jensen)
- A UNC student faces possible expulsion for "creating an 'intimidating' environment"... FOR HER RAPIST.
- Some "maybe I don't totally hate humanity" stories:
- Texas HS basketball player displays true sportsmanship.
- 9-year-old boy runs triathlons with his younger brother, who has cerebral palsy.
- Boston fraternity raises money for trans brother's surgery.
- "We found our son in the subway."
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
Handlers at an Australian wildlife sanctuary discovered their wombat was ailing from a lack of cuddling. I VOLUNTEER! I VOLUNTEER AS WOMBAT TRIBUTE.
Good news: the world's worst tattoo has been repaired.
Check out these awesome pictures of Calvin and Hobbes in real life scenes.
ETA: Removed image, based on some legal issues (via Nathan Bransford)
College cheerleader makes the greatest half court shot ever:
And finally: the Twilight supercut. 26 minutes of non-stop staring!
Have a great weekend!