THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- Beautiful post from Sara Zarr: "It's ingratitude that destroys the romance."
- Also beautiful post from Kiersten White: "If a voice takes a space in your head and fills you with ugliness or doubt or pain--no matter what the source of that voice is--TAKE BACK THAT SPACE."
- Lauren Gibaldi talks about YA love, breakups, and writing what you know.
THIS WEEK IN READING
- For the first time ever, all five recipients of the UK's Costa Award are women.
- How's your score on Vulture's "Jay-Z Lyric or Line from The Great Gatsby" quiz? (via Michele Wells)
- Do you know of a 2013 YA book with LGBTQ main characters? Malinda Lo wants to hear about them!
- Sarah at Clear Eyes, Full Shelves shares her 2013 reading wishes, not resolutions.
- Our girl Sarah Enni guest posts at Step - Brightly about things to boost your reading in 2013.
- The Cybils announced their 2012 finalists!
- The Atlantic has a list of winter YA to watch out for (including our own Kristin Halbrook!).
- If you need help with your TBR list, check out Publishers Marketplace's new Bookateria. (I'm not sure if you need a membership or not, but it's pretty cool.)
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Editor Vicki Lame shares helpful query and pitch information in an interview with Miss Literati.
- Agent Sarah LaPolla breaks down the stats on her 2012 queries.
- Lots more talk about New Adult going on-- Lizzy Burns attempts to pin down a definition, Bookshelver Anonymous says "I told you so," and Angela Cartensen points out that the NA label may hurt more than it helps.
- Operation Awesome is running an online New Year's Revisions Conference -- You can find a critique partner, and the schedule includes posts and Q&A with several agents. Fellow Highwayer Phoebe North will be posting about Goals, Motivation, and Conflict, and I have a post going live at 11 am about revising your query with feedback. (Thanks for the invite, guys!)
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- Want to win a book tour? Vote for your city to get a visit from Marie Lu, Marissa Meyer, Beth Revis, Victoria Schwab, and Megan Shepherd!
- YA Fusion is giving away an ARC of Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans!
THIS WEEK IN WTF
Big, huge trigger warnings for sexual violence. I include these things because this is the shit our readers are facing every day.
- A Wisconsin freshman is suspended for giving a black classmate a noose and a KKK symbol.
- A California appeals court rules against a rape charge because the victim isn't married (via @thejeanmartha).
- Anonymous leaks a 12-minute video of drunk Steubenville, Ohio high school athletes making fun of an unconscious 16-year-old girl they've raped. Christa Desir has a heart-breaking post on the case, asking where we can go from here.
- Nowhere, apparently: The House adjourned without reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act.
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- Two California teens gave their parents drugged milkshakes... so that they could use the internet.
- The most popular literary tweet of 2012 belonged to...
- Not sure where to put this, but all of YA Highway is sending love and thoughts to Melissa Marr, who posted an update on her new baby.
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
And the worst New Year's Eve goes to... the production team at KDOC-TV in LA. (via Rachel Hawkins)
File under: Things That Make Me Feel Old: Buzzfeed's list of "29 Albums That Are Now 20 Years Old," and this:
Courtesy of Sarah: Pug vs Lava Stairs!
Happy New Year!