THE BIG NEWS THIS WEEK
Hurricane Sandy, obviously. Kate Messner has already pulled together an amazing auction to benefit storm victims, including items from our own Veronica Roth and Kody Keplinger, plus much more!
THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- The usual anti-NaNo posts have gone up, and Lindsey Roth Culli has an eyeroll for their "bunk," while Veronica Roth says it's an amazing tool for perfectionists like her. NaNo or no, if you're interested in a little help this November, don't forget that YA Highway is offering a daily encouragement email!
- Mitali Perkins shares the reasons she's grateful for an old-fashioned editor.
- "21 Ways to Find Your Words, Should You Lose Them," from Karen Rivers.
- Need inspiration? Rachel Meenan is offering weekly flash fiction exercises.
- Zoë Marriott sent us her post on how developing characters is harder than it looks.
- "All the best bookstores have vomit contingency plans," says author Daniel Hadler.
THIS WEEK IN READING
- First Book is celebrating the donation of their 100 millionth book! Vote for which title will get that honor (and maybe make a donation while you're there).
- It's time to vote for your 2012 Goodreads Choice Awards!
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Random Penguin is going to be a real thing. (But not with that name, unfortunately.) Kristin Nelson elaborates on agents' real fears about the merger.
- Even collaboration with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt isn't getting Amazon's books onto brick and mortar shelves.
- Fast Company profiled Paper Lantern Lit and their "book incubator" model.
- Elana Johnson asks, "Do you have a social media hangover?"
- Tara Kelly shares what it's like when your career is your writing friends' worst nightmare.
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- Love this essay from Michele Filgate about high school hatred, grown up social media, and stepping outside of one's self (via Sarah LaPolla).
- A Phoenix football team has taken a bullied girl with disabilities under its wing for protection (via Andy Hollums).
- Guys, Jackson Rathbone says at least EIGHTEEN words in Breaking Dawn Part Two! That's six times more than in the first installment!
- Huge congrats to our friend Debra Driza, whose Mila 2.0 was picked up for development by the producers of Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice!
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- Beth Revis is giving away an entire library of signed YA books!
- Writers ages 13-20 can win a critique from agent Ginger Clark or one of several awesome authors, over at John Hansen's blog!
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
You guys, this never happens, but I... don't have any random this week. I know! I'm sorry. It was a weird week, you know? The best thing I saw was Snoop's new reggae video, and that's using the term "best" loosely. So-- hook me up here. Link your best random in the comments. Do it for the love. Or the LOLZ. Whichever.
Either way, have a great weekend!