The #YesGayYA controversy blew up yesterday. We have a special edition round up about it here.
Also: Woo hoo! Big thanks to Book Blogger Appreciation Week, who awarded us Best Publishing/Industry Blog! Contributor Veronica Roth also racked up the awards, winning "Best Book Club Pick," "Book You Most Want to See As A Movie," and "Favorite Book"!
THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- I'm going to be a tool and link to my own guest post at Adventures in Children's Publishing: "Dialect and Dialogue."
- Eight reasons Cassandra Marshall hates your book.
- The Buried Editors lists five writing tips she's learned from her toddler.
THIS WEEK IN READING
- Author Cinda Williams Chima on eurocentricity in fantasy.
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Discussion about "no response" agents continued this week, with Janet Reid responding, "No, you're wrong, and here's why." Former agent Nathan Bransford takes the middle way in his response, Kristin Nelson says they'll keep on keepin' on despite the inconvenience, and Lynn Price at Behler Publications says agents just need to put on their big girl pants. Meanwhile Jill Corcoran retreated from the discussion entirely and closed to queries, a decision she discusses a little more in the comments.
Reel YA, headed by Amparo Ortiz, will be following all things YA book and movie-related.
YA Trailer Park, featuring YA book trailers-- submit your own!
- Forever Young Adult (this year's Best Young Adult Blog!) breaks down the recently-released "Breaking Dawn" trailer. (I just keep staring at Carlisle. Why is he bloated and jaundiced? I thought unchanging appearance was a perk of immortality.)
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- Joe Biden launches new campaign to end sexual attacks on college campuses.
- The Vulture asks, "Are we living in the golden age of male objectification?" (via Cleolinda Jones).
- Don't forget the Read For Relief auction is still going on! A YA Highway critique package should be up for bids on Monday.
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- BBAW has a ton of giveaways open, available in the US, Canada, and internationally!
- Angelica C. Hansen is giving away query critiques and a copy of Cheryl Klein's Second Sight!
- Quita and Pam are giving away Carrie Harris's Bad Taste In Boys!
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
Have a great weekend!
~ Kate Hart