THE BIG NEWS THIS WEEK
In the wake of all the WSJ and #yasaves controversy, authors Maureen Johnson, Cheryl Rainfeld and Lauren Myracle talked to YA critic Meghan Cox Gurdon. You can listen to Maureen and Cheryl here (warning: link plays instantly), and Lauren here-- where NPR has inexplicably chosen "YA Author Apologizes" as their headline. (To be fair, they also featured a "Hooray for YA" piece last week.)
Meanwhile, the Twitterverse followed both interviews with various hashtags including #yashowdown. Author Laurel Snyder pointed out a few issues she thinks are derailing the debate, author Loretta Nyhan warned we shouldn't equate fiction and self-help, I made a tongue-in-cheek assessment of YA's "darkness," and author Scott Westerfeld asked, "Won't someone please think of the parents?"
On a related note, agent Joanna Volpe pulled a good point from the much-maligned YA article in Slate with her post on "The Speed Limit on Story Telling."
THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- The always delightfully offensive Chuck Wendig has 25 things you should know about dialogue.
- The Intern ponders the ways literacy closes us off from the outside world.
- It's hard to know when to give up completely. Read agent Sarah Davies's candid account of her own decision to quit.
- Need a crit partner? Check out WriteOnCon's critique partner match up!
THIS WEEK IN READING
- You do not want to piss off George R. R. Martin. He will put your head on a spike. Or threaten it, anyway.
- PW has a "grab bag of hilarious Amazon reviews."
- For every book you read online, Penguin will give books to kids who need them.
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Janet Kobobel Grant from Books&Such Agency explains how an agent can accidentally kill your career.
- Ever wonder what a real editorial letter looks like? Agent Rachelle Gardner shares an example.
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- Myra McEntire, Beth Revis, Victoria Schwab and guests are kicking off their "Asheville to Nashville" tour with a giveaway!
- Another great tour is also kicking off in the midwest with Saundra Mitchell, Lara Zielin, Rhonda Stapleton, Christine Johnson and guests.
- L. J. Boldyrev is giving away books from her new agency-- congrats, L.J.!
THIS WEEK IN
- HARRY POTTER PREMIERE IN LONDON. Did you miss it? You can see a play by play here,, or watch JKR and the trio's speeches below.
- Are you going to the midnight showings or opening day? We want your pictures, videos, and thoughts! Email them to yahighway at gmail dot com and we'll include you in our Harry Potter farewell post!
- In the meantime, check out the top 10 bromance moments of the HP series, see what Time has to say about fanfiction and the boy who lived (forever), or look at James Phelps dressed as Lady Gaga as he climbs three mountains for charity.
Have a great weekend!
~ Kate Hart