Field Trip Friday: May 6, 2011
THE BIG NEWS THIS WEEK
The storms that ravaged large swaths of the United States were actually big news last week, but this week, we're have a way for you to help. Visit Help Write Now to bid on fabulous writing community items and raise funds to support storm relief.
THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- Agent Jennifer Laughran explains WTF is up with cussing in YA.
- "How I Edit," from agent-turned-writer Nathan Bransford.
- Author Ingrid Sundberg has a summary of submission tips from Bloomsbury editor Margaret Miller.
- You need career insurance-- author Roni Loren tells how to sell your next book before it's even written.
- The Intern has (helpful) thoughts on plots.
- Author Malinda Lo has a great post on writing race in speculative fiction.
- Friend-o-the-blog Amy Lukavics shares a brave post about the LGBTQ experience and asks writers to "Write your characters, tell your story, be yourself."
THIS WEEK IN READING
- Kirkus names the top tough teen heroines of sci fi and fantasy.
- Guys Lit Wire is doing their annual Book Fair. This year they've adopted a high school in Washington D.C., and made it easier than ever for you to donate a book. Check out the list of requests-- a lot of you are on it!
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Agent Mary Kole with "the one right way" to write a query. She also explains why .doc is not .docx.
- Why editors and agents just aren't that into you, at Writer's Relief.
- Agent Kristin Nelson on the art of the blurb request.
- How much do writers really make? Agent Mandy Hubbard crunches the numbers.
- Facebook versus Twitter: Who wins for author publicity? Agent Jessica Faust at BookEnds has the answer.
- WriteOnCon has "The Trifecta of Awesome" coming up: A live event with editor Molly O'Neill and agents Michelle Andelman and Joanna Stampfel-Volpe.
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- The codename for the operation against Osama Bin Laden was Geronimo. Debbie Reese explains why that is unacceptable, at best.
- A Minnesota politician "hates" Neil Gaiman, that "pencil-necked weasel"... but then apologizes when his mother tells him to.
- The Rejectionist and Meg Clark want you for the Rayanne Project.
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- Victoria Schwab is giving away all kinds of loot.
- Visit Abby Stevens for a chance at an ARC of Possession by Elana Johnson!
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
- Don't know what to get Mom for Mother's Day? How about literary action figures?
- Trying to channel your high school self? Check out these 22 awesomely awkward senior portraits. (via @moonrat)
Have a great weekend!
- Blogger Comments
- Facebook Comments