I am filling in for the awesome Kate Hart this week. Don't fear! She'll be back soon.
THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- Janice Hardy talks about transitions. If you’re anything like me, you really need this post.
- What most often makes agent Kristin Nelson stop reading in the first pages of a manuscript.
- Eight secrets writers have but might not admit.
- Author Jennifer Walkup on surviving the writerly emocoaster.
- Agent Mary Kole explains when you do and don’t need a complete manuscript before submitting. (Hint: if you’re reading our YA-centric blog, odds are, you do.)
- Three traits your hero and villain should share, according to author K. M. Weiland.
- How author Michael Kardos learned to love rejections.
THIS WEEK IN READING
- WICKED PRETTY THINGS, the anthology that’s been causing a stir for weeks now, has been canceled.
- On Tor’s website, author Janni Lee Simner has some great thoughts on the portrayal of arranged marriages in dystopian fiction.
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Agent Jessica Faust has some interesting thoughts on social networking profile pictures.
- And on the subject of social networking, twitter vs. facebook as a tool for journalists. (Spoiler alert: twitter wins.)
- Thoughts from agent Rachelle Gardner on comparisons between the publishing and music industries.
- Kate The Rockstar finishes her blog series on YA deals by numbers. So many awesome charts!
- Nathan Bransford discusses different types of publishing and giving yourself the best shot at success.
- Writer and reviewer Yahong Chi explains the process of getting published in magazines.
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- Two Bookanista giveaways: our own Kirsten Hubbard is giving away FAMILY by Micol Ostow and Shannon Messenger is giving away POSSESSION by Elana Johnson.
- Cheyanne Young is giving away an arc of ABANDON by Meg Cabot—and some great writing tips.
- Yatopia has a pitch contest featuring agent Natalie Fischer.
- Help our lovely Kate Hart with a future chart-related post and win a t-shirt!
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
- This is one of the best things I’ve ever seen. And I’m not just saying that because I like Slipknot.
- The Hobbit!!!!