Field Trip Friday: February 11, 2011
THIS WEEK IN WRITING
- "Dance with the scary idea," says agent Holly Root.
- QueryTracker has advice on how to stop thrashing, and on a similar note, Write It Sideways has six ways to find more room in your brain.
- Author Kristin Lamb offers some novel diagnostics.
- Do you invert cause and effect? Check out Wordplay to find out.
- How "write what you love" panned out for author Saundra Mitchell.
- Author Natalie Whipple has set up a great resource: The Crit Partner Classifieds. She also has a great post on how the bad things in life-- and fiction-- are no more realistic than the good.
- 20 great quotes from Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, courtesy of Highwayer Michelle Schusterman.
- Tense about tense? Agent Mary Kole gives her two cents on present versus past.
- We are big fans of author Janice Hardy's blog, and now she has remodeled it to make it even easier to find her great writing advice!
THIS WEEK IN PUBLISHING
- Fascinating look at bad reviews and how they attract gawkers like blood does sharks, from Emily St. John Mandel at The Millions.
- Agent Kathleen Ortiz says, "Don't fight the e-book."
- Agent Rachelle Gardner explains sell-in, sell-through, earn-out and returns. She also has "the definitive post" on how to get published.
- Author Julie Cross gets advice about online presence from Brittney Kleinfelter and Eileen Rothschild of St. Martin's Press.
- Blog advice: 100 tips for blogging like a pro at Brilliantly Better (via the Dystel and Goderich blog) and six fiction writing techniques for better blog posts at ProBlogger (via @elizabethscraig).
THIS WEEK IN OTHER STUFF
- The science of peer pressure and the brain: "Teenagers, Friends and Bad Decisions" in the NYT.
- 13 inspirational quotes by women, at The Woman Condition.
THIS WEEK IN CONTESTS
- Win a copy of Highwayer Kirsten Hubbard's Like Mandarin on Goodreads!
- Christina Lee and Stina Lindenblatt are hosting a "Just Kiss Already" blogfest. Sign up here!
- Oasis For YA is hosting the adorably-titled "That's YAmore" blogfest, starting today!
- Bid on a set of signed Melissa de la Cruz books and help Indigo Love of Reading programs.
- Jaime and Patricia at Two Chicks on Books are having a 50 followers giveaway- go follow!
- CJ Redwine is giving away a signed copy of Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry.
- Wen Baragrey is giving away books by Helen Lowe.
THIS WEEK IN THE RANDOM
And some crazy inventions (thanks for the link, Kirsten!)
- Blogger Comments
- Facebook Comments