Authors Myra McEntire, Victoria Schwab and Amanda Morgan are auctioning off critiques, signed books, and more from authors, agents, editors, and other industry professionals. Go to Do the Write Thing for Nashville to help the flood victims by bidding on lots of fabulous items-- including some donated by YA Highway authors. All proceeds benefit the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee.
- Author Rebecca Rogers has a good post about world-building.
- Author Sara Zarr has an amazing piece on the courage to face the things you cannot change.
- Author Maureen Johnson recommends majoring in something other than creative writing.
- How to use the "fight or flight" response in your writing, from Plot to Punctuation.
- Agent Nathan Bransford shows how to make a series bible.
- Agent Donald Maass lays out the steps for deciding if a character deserves its own POV.
- How to handle criticism without getting defensive, from the QueryTracker blog.
- Author Alex Sanchez guest posts at Cynsations about why boys need good books to escape "The Guy Box."
- The Gatekeeper on how to use jealousy to improve your manuscript.
- Be careful with cliffhanger chapter endings, says author Janice Hardy.
This Week In Reading
- Writers House agent Dan Lazar spends a week hand-selling books at an indie bookstore.
This Week In Getting Published
- Agent Mandy Hubbard on current trends and whether you should pay attention to them.
- A whole lot of inspiration from Tahereh
- How to build your pitch, from agent Laura Rennert via Elana Johnson
- Agent Kristin Nelson discusses competing with other agents for authors; agent Rachelle Gardner has a reality check on the same topic.
This Week In Other Stuff
- Interesting look at the lack of feminist role models for teenage girls, written by a teen, at Jezebel.
- Our girl Kristin started a mini-meme with her "Beautiful People" post, prompting lots of us to join her-- check the comments for links.
Gaga videos even more awkward than last week's. Unbelievable.
Inspired by the 82nd Airborne's version of "Telephone"...
NPR made their own. (via my BFF)
While what looks to be some frat guys did a Bad Romance/Poker Face/Paparazzi mashup (via @sjaejones)