with stops at the most helpful, interesting or otherwise entertaining news.
We are flattered, grateful and looking forward to celebrating our one-year anniversary with all of you next month-- keep an eye out for fun guest posts, quizzes, contests and more!
- Author Sarah Enni says writers need to "forget like a quarterback."
- Inspiring success stories: The Toronto Star catches up with writers they interviewed in random coffee shops (via Bookninja).
- Author Lilith St. Crow on the best way to worry.
- How to write a breakout novel from agent Sarah Davies at Greenhouse Literary
- Kirsten wants to see your "unprocessed creative process"-- send her your doodles, scribbles, and full-blown art piece manuscripts pages.
- It's Not You, It's Me: Fiction is subjective, by agent Elisabeth Weed
- Authors Lisa and Laura Roecker have an interview with author Dawn Metcalf, who is working on a list of 10,000 interested readers to give her publicity department. 10,000!
- Author Rachelle Alpine has a list of top ten things not to do while querying.
- Agent Mandy Hubbard explains how to use a "revise and resubmit" request.
- What to do when you get the call, by author Hannah Moskowitz, guest posting on agent Kathleen Ortiz's blog.
- Kirsten and Kristin did a fab job hosting this week's #yalitchat discussion of buzz. You can read the discussion by searching the hashtag on Twitter. Author Megan Curd wrote up a blog post about it as well.
eta: You can read the transcript in PDF form here.
- Speaking of buzz, author Sarah Mlynowski created quite a bit with her fun Twitter question: "Ever wonder what YA authors would tell their high school selves?" Her #gimmeacall hashtag ended up with over 1000 responses, not to mention fantastic visibility for her book of the same name.
- Remember last week when I said I just love Veronica Roth? Apparently so does Harper Collins! "In a deal she described as a 'major' pre-empt, agent Joanna Stampfel-Volpe of Nancy Coffey Literary sold a three-book YA series to Molly O'Neill at HarperCollins's Katherine Tegen Books." Read Vee's end of the story here and go tell her congrats!
- The Rejecter explains proper etiquette at conferences like BEA.
- Want to celebrate Earth Day a day late? Visit author Lydia Kang's blog to find out how to make your blog carbon neutral.
- Huge congrats to our friend Kathleen, who signed with agent Emmanuelle Alspaugh at Judith Ehrlich Literary Management!
- Check out the premiere of editor T. H. Mafi's new Querypolitan magazine!