Field Trip Friday is a weekly trip around the field of YA with stops at the most helpful, interesting or otherwise entertaining news.
The BIG news in YA this week?
Also, congrats to Leah Clement of the YA Rebels on her book deal!
This week on writing:
- Jae Jones describes The Manic Pixie Dream Girl Problem
- Maggie Stiefvater has a fantastic entry on the perceptions and realities of teen voice:
I think what it comes down to is this: are we writing about teens in general or one teen character in specific? Are characters supposed to be averages, the entire teen experience rolled up into one person, or are can they be quirky individuals you wouldn’t run into every day?
This week in reading:
- An article from the NYT on a topic that has bothered me since I read the series: Twilight and the Quileute Nation (via @PWKidsBookshelf)
- A cool 360 look into Roald Dahl's writing hut
- Chasing Ray has thoughts on the inspiration behind Libba Bray's new series and the role of women in the canon.
This week in getting published:
- Inky Elbows put together a complete list of Twitter chats about writing
- My girl Cory put up several helpful posts, including detailed instruction on how to beta read.
- Kathleen has some humor to get you through the pain of querying.
This week in fun stuff:
Hannah, Grace and Alainn want your entries for their new blog, Glam Book Shots! Check it out, it's awesome.
Also awesome: T-SHIRT WAR.